Friday, August 26, 2011

My Blog

I’ve been toying with the idea of creating a blog with some encouragement from a former co-worker and friend Beverly. She’s been doing it for quite some time, but I have just recently subscribed to her blog and receive daily emails that I read first thing each morning on my phone. Yes, I said daily. Now that doesn’t mean I plan on doing the same, but I like the idea. With my commute and all the normal day to day stuff, I doubt I will find time to do it daily; it will probably be a couple days a week.

Beverly really has a way with words and knows how to capture an audience. I think she majored in English in College. I on the other hand, have not graduated college (still a few math credits shy of my Associates Degree) and I struggle with writing. It’s just not one of my strong points. My husband Jason likes to point this out all the time. So in an effort to work on improving my writing skills and as an outlet in lieu of therapy, let the fun begin.

Now that I’ve got that out of the way, I need to figure out a title for my blog. I was tinkering around with this a few weeks ago, but I couldn’t find something that really suited me so I stopped. I’m just not creative in that sense so my title will remain a work in progress. When I find something that seems to fit, I’ll stick with it.

The one thing Beverly told me I could not steal from her is blog is how she starts each entry with lyrics from a song. I think that is what has really lured me in. It’s almost like watching Glee and getting so excited because they bring new life to a song that hit the charts some 15-20 years ago during the onset of the age of MTV, which is what I grew up on. Yes folks, I’m a gleek! What can I say, I love music. Beverly and I have a lot of similar musical interests so we just kind of click and when we hear some random word, we just burst into song. Anyway, I have to figure out my shtick and work it into this blog.

She cracks me up though, because she is the President or something of the Rick Springfield Fan Club. Okay, I exaggerate….or do I? No really, she is involved in some way shape or form. She just loves Rick Springfield. Kind of like I love Blue October, Morrissey and The Smiths. They speak to me lyrically and I can drown myself into their harmonious melodies. No doubt they will likely be the inspiration of my future topics. I’m not quite sure what Beverly’s fascination is with Rick Springfield and the fact that he wishes he had Jesse’s girl……or is it the fact that he uses the word “moot” in the song? That just made me think of an entirely different topic which I will save for later. (Note to self-remember to discuss the misuse, mispronunciation and misspelling of words)

Wow, I can’t believe I have almost an entire page and it’s not even double spaced. Apparently writing for fun is a lot easier than writing a paper for Philosophy or Business.  Maybe I should have done this sooner. Either way, I started it and enjoyed it. Once I get the hang of how the blog sites work and how to spread my cheer, I hope to get some feedback and suggestions.  Until we meet again.



4 comments:

  1. Fantastic! And you made me sound so interesting! Keep up the good work, girl! I'll be "following" you! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your first blog! I so enjoy reading Beverly's blog. Trying to talk her into writing a book. Good luck on your blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the blog. I think you did a great job. You should end all your blogs with "until we meet again." You could always call your blog "Life as I See It" or "Millie's Mom & Our Life". LOL. Anyway it was a great start! Allie

    ReplyDelete